Saturday, January 29, 2011

Potstickers!

Yum! I made Potstickers this afternoon.  I've made wontons lots of times, but potstickers...er....scared me.  They seemed so hard. Well, turns out they weren't!!!  I checked out some different ones online and made my own.  Here's what you need.

3/4 head of medium cabbage - I shredded in Food Processor
1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 small can of water chesnuts, diced up
1-2 tsp Chinese Five Spice
2 tsp Sesame Oil
1 tsp ground ginger (I used fresh grated....that was interesting to do, it really sticks to the grater!)
1 tsp salt
1-2 tsp sugar
Wonton wrappers
Water, divided some in ramekin...some in 1/4 cup at a time.
Vegetable Oil

Mix this all together...with your hands tends to be best....and really get all the cabbage blended in. Yes, the pork is raw...so wash your hands  I stuck in the freezer about 45 minutes to an hour. I read that it helps that it's all cold, and I think that made a difference.

Once it's cold - I used my hands again to grab a little glob at a time.  Place on the wonton wrapper, floured side up.  Sometimes it's hard to tell, but if you flip it over and back - you'll be able to tell which one is which.









Next get your fingers dipped in the water and spread along the outer edges.  Rather than folding in triangles, I folded straight up and sort of "half mooned" shaped it around the wrapper.  You gotta be a little careful because too much inside it'll tear.  This recipe used all the wrappers from the package..It helped me some to fold in the edges to help continue shaping.

 I made 6 at a time (yes, I know there are 7 on the plate)...place in about 1 capful of vegetable oil on medium-high heat, flat side down.  This will start the sizzle, cover immediately.  It really helped me to set the time for 1.5 minutes.  Once it has reached that, dump 1/4 cup of water into the pan and   recover...cooking for another 2.5 minutes.




Remove...BUT DO NOT place on paper towel to drain..they'll stick. I made a little sauce too with some soy sauce, sesame oil, ground ginger, cider vinegar and a little sugar/salt.  But I don't think it came out right.  I'm trying to find one that would be more syrup-y (my lingo) like the restaurants have.
These also made it just fine being re-heated in the oven for a bit.