Friday, February 11, 2011

Cake mix extension

My hubby is going out tonight for a friend's birthday.  They aren't doing anything special - but I decided that I would make them a cake...well, they are big Star Wars fans (what guys aren't?) and we happen to have a Darth Vader cake pan from when I purchased it for hubby's 30th birthday, years ago.


Problem: I only had one cake mix and the cake pan needs two mixes (and no, I do not do from scratch...I'm too intimidated and short on time.)  But I thought surely, this has to have happened to someone else once...so I googled it.  Well, wouldn't you know; there are many!  So I thought I would share (except I modified this from a few sites that I visited):


1 box regular cake mix - prepared as it says on the box.  To that, add:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/3 cup from a package of Instant Pudding
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla


If you are making a chocolate cake, I went ahead and added a few (3) teaspoons of cocoa powder just to make it even.  Also - I didn't have an extra egg!  Geez, I need to go to the grocery store.  You can just substitute 150ml of milk (which is just about 2/3 of a cup) for each egg - or a banana, or I've heard of applesauce, yogurt, etc.


Anyways - this makes a perfect cake mix extension and filled the cake pan! Who knew?
Do you have any secrets of extending any baking recipes? Please do share.


Thanks for stopping by!